Saturday, May 15, 2010
Despite being separated politically into Townships, the individual villages still had some degree of autonomy.
Early in 1921, local councillors in Dartacre were pondering fire protection. Up until now, residents put out fires using bucket chains from the river. As the village grew, the fire risk became greater and so the local council decided to think about investing in a fire service. Unfortunately they discovered that fighting fires would be impossible without water.
They discussed all this with the other villages within the townships, but the cost was too much for the others. As a larger settlement however, Dartacre was able to raise the extra revenue to build a water distribution service that would only encompass itself.
Dartacre's groundwater was heavily polluted however from agricultural chemicals and so they had to build the pumping station out of town.
Written by Dr Philip Younger at 6:41 PM