The settlements of Oak River, Westfield and Sudbury had been existing in peaceful solitude for a short time. The young colony received attention from the churches in another part of SimGlobe. A handful of missionaries were sent out to spread the good news in the region.
The missionaries landed at Oak River and got to know the population. The searched for a good site for a church and they settled for a spot upstream of the village of Oak River, right next to the river itself. In early 1904 the church was built. A dedication service was held and the church was named St. Raphael
The site chosen was an easy cart ride away from the three villages. Over time tracks appeared where vegetation was trodden as the residents trekked to the service every Sunday morning.